Aggiornato al: 19/05/2016
A child born to an Italian citizen mother or father is an Italian citizen by birth.
Foreigners can acquire Italian citizenship through:
by residence in Italy
by law under some circumstances.
recognition of Italian citizenship by descent;
maternal or paternal recognition
1 – Becoming a citizen by marriage (under article 5 of Law no. 91/1992, as amended)
Citizenship by marriage is awarded by prefectorial decree.
Whether you are a foreign citizen or stateless, you can apply if you are married to an Italian citizen and if you have lived lawfully for at least 2 years in Italy or 3 years in another country.
These terms are reduced by half if you have children who are Italian citizens When the ministerial order granting citizenship is issued, your marriage must not have been annulled or dissolved, its civil effects must not have ended, and you must not be legally separated.
2 – Becoming a citizen by residence in Italy (under article 9 of Law no. 91/1992, as amended) Citizenship by residence is granted by decree of the President of the Italian Republic. You qualify if you are:
- a foreigner; and either you were born in Italian territory or you are the son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter of an Italian citizen by birth; and you have lived in Italy for at least 3 years;
- a foreigner over 18 years old, and you were adopted by an Italian citizen, and you have lived lawfully in Italian territory for at least 5 years after adoption;
- a foreigner, and you have been employed by the Italian government for at least 5 years in Italy or in another country;
- a citizen of another European Union state, and you have been lawfully resident for at least 4 years in Italian territory;
- stateless or a refugee, and you have been lawfully resident for at least 5 years in Italian territory;
- a foreigner, and you have been lawfully resident for at least 10 years in Italian territory.
Applications for acquisition of Italian citizenship by marriage or residency must be submitted to the Prefecture of Vicenza. As from 1st May 2015 all applications must be submitted online. For further information visit the website: http://www.prefettura.it/vicenza
Within six months from the notification of the decree granting citizenship, the person concerned is required to take an oath of loyalty at the General Register Office of the Vicenza Municipality. The following documents are required to schedule your oath taking ceremony:
A valid passport;
3 – Becoming an Italian citizen by law; (under article 4 of Law no. 91/1992) you qualify if:
A) you are the son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter of an Italian citizen by birth, AND:
- you have done military service in the Italian armed forces, after stating your wish to become an Italian citizen;
- OR you have been employed in public service by the Italian government, and you have stated your wish to become an Italian citizen;
- OR you have been lawfully resident in Italy for at least 2 years after your 18th birthday, and while you were still 18 years old, you stated your wish to become an Italian citizen;
B) you were born in Italian territory, and you were lawfully resident in Italy continuously until your 18th birthday, and while you were still 18 years old, you stated your wish to become an Italian citizen.
4 - Granting Italian citizenship for descendants(“jure sanguinis” – by bloodline – under article 1 of Law no. 91/1992).
If you are a foreigner descended from Italian citizens who emigrated, and you wish to be recognised as an Italian citizen “jure sanguinis” without interruption, then you must apply to:
- the responsible Italian consulate, if you live outside Italy
- or the citizenship office (ufficio cittadinanza) of your local municipality (comune), if you live in Italy (Download the form here:
5 - Maternal or paternal recognition (art. 2 Law 91/1992). If a child of legal age is acknowledged by an Italian national and the child declares to elect Italian citizenship within one year of the recognition, he or she may be granted citizenship
In cases 3-4-5 the application must be submitted to the Municipality of residence.
- Vicenza municipal citizenship office (ufficio cittadinanze del comune di Vicenza), first floor, palazzo degli uffici, piazza Biade 26, tel. +39 (0)444 221 456/644, fax +39 (0)444 221 422, email: email@example.com
- Vicenza Prefect’s office – citizenship office (ufficio cittadinanze della prefettura di Vicenza), contra' Gazzolle 6, tel. +39 (0)444 338638, fax 0444 338491, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vicenza municipal citizenship office:
Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 12.30 pm
Tuesday and Thursday, 4.30 pm – 6.00 pm
PLEASE NOTE: it is a good idea to contact your local municipal citizenship office for information on what you need to do and what documentation you need to provide. This documentation will be sent to the Prefect’s office as part of the application process.
Link to the pages of the register, civil status and electoral office services section: