Civic Art Gallery of Palazzo Chiericati (English)
Updated to: 27/12/2021
(photo of Luca Girardini)
NB – Covid-19 emergency: How to access museums
To visit the Civic Museums of Vicenza (Olympic Theater, Civic Art Gallery of Palazzo Chiericati, church of Santa Corona, Natural History and Archaeological Museum, Museum of Risorgimento and Resistance – Villa Guiccioli, Basilica palladiana and the Galleries of Palazzo Thiene)
- from Friday, 6 August 2021 to 9th January 2022 you must have to produce the very basic Green Pass accompanied by a valid identity document when purchasing the ticket and upon entering any museum, as laid down by the governmental provisions in force (Law Decree of 23 July 2021, n. 105). From 6 December 2021 to 15 January 2022, it will be necessary to produce the reinforced Green Pass, issued only to people who are vaccinated or cured (Decree-Law No. 172 of 26 November 2021), solely in the event that Veneto falls back within the orange or red zone;
- from 10Th January to 31st March 2022 you must have to produce the reinforced Green Pass.
The provisions do not apply to children under the age of 12 and to people with specific medical certification.
In 1855, Palazzo Chiericati became the historical location of the City Museum, in which more than 35 thousand works such as paintings, sculptures, design pieces, toys and applied arts dating back to the period between the 13th and the 20th century are collected.
The building was designed in 1550 by Andrea Palladio for Girolamo Chiericati; it was completed at the end of the 17th century and then acquired by the Municipality of Vicenza in 1839 to host the city art collections. The City Museum opened on August 18th, 1855, following refurbishment and extension works performed by the architects Berti and Miglioranza.
Within the Palazzo, it is still possible to admire the prestigious frescoes painted by Brusasorzi, Zelotti, Menarola and Cittadella and dating back to the 16th and 17th century.
In the basement, reopened in October 2012, the original foundations of the “Casette Chiericati” dating back to the 14th and 15th century are still visible; the basement also hosts the ancient servants’ premises such as kitchens and cellars, in which the fireplace, the well, the barrel stair and the “Roggia del Collo” are still intact.
Since the City Museum of Palazzo Chiericati is currently under restoration, some works are not exposed. The exhibition open to the public at the moment includes works from the Middle Age to the Baroque.
A new exhibition itinerary will open through the great hall decorated with the seven civic lunettes designed by Bassano, Maffei and Carpioni; this hall shows the golden age of the city between the 16th and the 17th century, under the dominion of the Serenissima. The tour continues on the first floor, with the works of Paolo Veneziano, Battista da Vicenza, Hans Memling and Bartolomeo Montagna, and ends in the prestigious hall that offers the decorations of the now-destroyed S. Bartolomeo church with a series of important altar paintings, among which there are the works of Montagna, Cima da Conegliano and Giovanni Bonconsiglio.
The piano nobile hosts a collection of the works of the great masters of the Venetian art from the 16th century: Bassano, Tintoretto, Veronese, along with the sculptures of Sansovino, Vittoria and the rock crystal works of Valerio Belli. More artworks by Luca Giordano, Maffei, Della Vecchia and Carpioni (17th century) complete the exhibition.
In the three premises of the attic, located in the northern side of the building, there is an exhibition of the legacy of the Marquis Giuseppe Roi; among these works there are his personal collection of paintings, drawings and engravings from the 15th to the 20th century, arranged in the enchanting setting of the House-Museum.
Likewise in the basement we can see the Collo canal, secondary branch of the Bacchiglione, covered with a barrel vault traceable to the thirteenth century, which delimits to the west the so-called area of the Island, where Palazzo Chiericati stands.
The space hosts temporary exhibitions.
Individual visitors: (duration 50 minutes, available in Italian, English and German): 5 euro
Can be rented directly at the entrance to Palazzo Chiericati upon deposit of a valid identity document
Content by Professor Giovanni Carlo Federico Villa (organized by numbered room and corresponding to the various stages of the exhibition).
Celebration of civil weddings and civil unions
You can book the Zodiac Room of Museo civico di Palazzo Chiericati for the celebration of civil weddings and civil unions.
Privates, concessions for events and shows
Prices and forms available at: http://www.museicivicivicenza.it/it/other/condizioni.php
Where and when
Palazzo Chiericati City Museum
- Winter timetable: from 1 September to 30 June, from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 am 5 pm (last entry 4:30 pm)
- Summer timetable: from 1 July to 31 August, from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm (last entry 5:30 pm)
Closing: Monday, 25th december and the 1st of January
Special openings for public holidays 2022: 6th January, 17th, 18th and 25th April, 1st May, 2nd June, 15th August, 8th September, 31th October, 1st November, 8th and 26th December
Website: Civici Museums
Iat, Tourist reception information
Address: Piazza Matteotti 12
- from September to June: everyday from 9 am to 5.30 pm
- July and August: everyday form 9 am to 6 pm
- closing days: 25th December and 1st January
Booking is mandatory for groups and schools (Olympic Theater and Palazzo Chiericati City Museum):
- Call center 0444964380 (Operating from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm, and from 2 pm to 6 pm (closing days: 25th of December and the 1st of January)
- Email: email@example.com
- groups (min 10 max 25 people): 10 euro
- schools: 5 euro a class
Natural Archaeological Museum
Address: Contra' Santa Corona 4
Not available at the moment
Closing days: every Monday and Christmas
Website: Civic Museums Vicenza
Infopoint and Ticket Office
Address: Piazza dei Signori
- from 11st December 2021 to 18th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (Monday closed)
- from 19th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm (Monday closed)
Website: Consorzio Vicenza è