The church of Santa Corona (English)
Updated to: 03/08/2021
From Friday, 6 August 2021, to visit the Civic Museums of Vicenza (Teatro Olimpico, Pinacoteca di Palazzo Chiericati, Chiesa di Santa Corona, Museo Naturalistico Archeologico, Museo del Risorgimento e della Resistenza, Basilica palladiana), you will have to produce the Green Pass accompanied by a valid identity document when purchasing the ticket and upon entering any museum, as laid down by the governmental provisions in force (Law Decree of 23 July 2021).
The provisions do not apply to children under the age of 12 and to people with specific medical certification.
The EU Digital Covid Certificate is a digital and printable (paper) certification that contains a two-dimensional barcode (QR Code) and a qualified electronic seal. The Certification is proof of one of the following conditions: having taken the Covid-19 vaccination, having tested negative to a PCR or rapid antigen test within the previous 48 hours, or having been cured of Covid-19 in the last six months.
The church construction, laid on Dominican foundations, was started in 1261 to keep the holy thorn relic, that was donated by Louis IX, King of France, to Vicenza’s bishop, Beato Bartolomeo da Breganze.
The interiors are in Gothic style; the presbytery was made by Lorenzo da Bologna in the second half of the fifteenth century, and it has many and important paintings and sculptures. Among these works, there are Giovanni Bellini masterpiece “The Baptism of Christ”, located on Garzadori altar, attributed to Rocco da Vicenza, and Paolo Veronese “Adoration of the Magi”. Also, there are Lorenzo Veneziano and Marcello Frogolino “Madonna of the Stars”, Bartolomeo Montagna great altarpiece “Mary Magdalene and Saints”, and Giambattista Pittoni “Madonna with Child and Saints”. In the church apse, there is the remarkable wooden choir, carved and inlaid, made by Pier Antonio dell’Abate. Among the most ancient decorations, there are Michelino Besozzo frescos in the Thiene Chapel, dated back to the early fifteenth century, clear examples of the most updated international gothic style.
To allow visitors to gain a better understanding the intense work done to renovate this monument is possible to get a look at the illustrative boards located in the crypt.
Website Unesco (goo.gl/rMYwBn)
The church of Santa Corona is provided with a free digital guide, available for smartphones and tablets, both in Italian and in English. Just scan the QR code at the church entrance or download the digital guide app on Apple store or Play store, or connect to http://www.chiesadisantacorona.vicenza.it/.
Santa Corona’s church digital guide and the new didactic signage were made thanks to the contribution of the foundation Giuseppe Roi.
As the church of San lorenzo, the church of Santa Corona too is equipped with tactile maps for sight-impaired people.
For the 2021-2023 three-year period, the educational service of Vicenza’s Civic Museums has been assigned to Scatola Cultura, a non-profit cooperative that offers a very far-reaching program, with several types of educational courses for the various age brackets, from primary school to high school.
Download here the brochure with educational activities
For information on educational activities:
tel. 3483832395, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://scatolacultura.it/
For bookings: Call Centre: +39 0444 964380 – Monday to Friday 9:00 to 18:00, Saturday 9:00 to 14:00.
Valid for eight days from the date of purchase
- Full price: 3 euro
- Reduced price: 2
- Schools: 2 euro
- Kids up to the age of 17 included, no school groups (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- ICOM members - International Council of Museums (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Tour guides and tour leaders only with group (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Italian and foreign journalists (upon presentation of a valid document attesting their membership to the association)
- Military and law enforcement officials (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Teachers only if accompanying school groups
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
- Twinned cities or cities linked to Vicenza through a friendship agreement (free access to the host class and to the hosted foreign class)
- Accademia Olimpica and its guests: free access to Teatro Olimpico
Privates, concessions for events and shows
It is possible to inquire about hosting appropriate events in Santa Corona’s church. For more information, please contact the Cultural and Museum Activities Service (tel. 0444222121).
Where and when
The church of Santa Corona
Address: Contra' Santa Corona 2
Phone: 0444320854 (Iat, Tourist reception information)
- Winter openings: from 1 September to 30 June, from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 am to 5 pm (on Saturday it reopens at 5.30 pm for the Holy Mass, free entrance)
- Summer openings, from July the 1st to August the 31st: from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm (on Saturday it closes at 5 pm and reopens at 5.30 pm for the mass)
Closing: Monday, 25th december and the 1st of January
Special openings for public holidays 2021: 5 and 25 April, 1 and 31 May, 2 June, 15 August, 8 September, 1 November, 8 and 26 December
Iat, Tourist reception information
Address: Piazza Matteotti 12
- July and August 2021 everyday form 9 am to 6 pm
- from 1 September 2021 everyday from 9 am to 5.30 pm
Booking is mandatory for groups and schools (Olympic Theater and Palazzo Chiericati City Museum):
- Call center 0444964380 (Operating from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm, and from 2 pm to 6 pm (closing days: 25th of December and the 1st of January)
- Email: email@example.com
- groups (min 10 max 25 people): 10 euro
- schools: 5 euro a class
Natural Archaeological Museum
Address: Contra' Santa Corona 4
Not available at the moment
Closing days: every Monday and Christmas
Website: Civic Museums Vicenza
Infopoint and Ticket Office
Address: Piazza dei Signori
- From 26th June 2021: from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm (last admission half an hour before closing time)
- From 20th to 30th September from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 am to 5 pm (last admission half an hour before closing time)
Website: Consorzio Vicenza è