Civil Status documents (english)
Updated to: 08/04/2022
The municipal registry office provides the issuance of certificates, extracts, and complete copies of vital records (birth, marriage, death).
Extracts and complete copies are exclusively released for births, marriages, and deaths that occurred in Vicenza. In the case of births, marriages, and deaths that occurred elsewhere, certificates are only issued if they were registered with the municipal registry office of Vicenza. Certificates have unlimited validity, while the excerpts and the complete copies of vital records are valid for six months from the date of issue. All civil status certificates are exempt from stamp duty and administrative fees (ex. art. 7 L. 405/1990).
Pursuant to law no. 183 of 2011/12/11 (the so-called “Law of stability”), certificates issued by the public administration in relation to status, personal qualities, and facts are only valid and can only be used in private relations. In relation with public administration bodies and public services managers, the certificates are always replaced by the declarations pursuant article 46 and article 47 of D.P.R. 445/2000 (Declaration of replacing certificates and Substitutive declaration of affidavit, respectively).
The Municipality of Vicenza issues certificates of events occurring from 1 September 1871 onwards. Certificates related to events between 1816 and 31 August 1871 have to be requested by the local parish church administration, where the event occurred.
Further information about marriage status, dating back in time, can be found in the conscription list of males from 1873 to 1898, published on the online database that the Vicenza State Archives established on the Arsas (Association for the Recovery and Safeguard of Historical Archives) website (link: http://www.arsas.org/leva/catalog).
At the Vicenza State Archive (Address: Borgo Casale 91), it is also possible to review other useful documents for historical research on ancestors. In fact, with the exclusion of the territory Bassano del Grappa, older documents produced by the offices of the state, which were located in the provincial district, are preserved at the Vicenza State Archives. There are, therefore, the archives of civil judicial magistrates and notarial archives, the documentation of the military service of males born between 1850 and 1931, as well as the registries of the Napoleonic civil registration (1806- 1815). The State Archive does not issue certificates, but can help find the municipality of origin, for those who would like to know the history of their family.
How to do it
There are three possible alternative forms of certificate request:
Direct request at the counter: you can go to the counter with the identification data of the certificate holder (surname, first name, place and date of birth). Complete copies and birth extracts with indications of paternity and maternity can be issued by filling out the appropriate form for requesting a full copy of civil status documents ; the form for requesting a birth certificate including paternity and maternity accompanied by an identity card:
- the subjects in which the act refers
- for minor children, the father or the mother must present identity documents
- third-party requests must present written authorization accompanied by a photocopy of the identity document of the holder of the document. Above all, if the holder is minor, written authorization is necessary from at least one parent, accompanied by a photocopy of a valid identity document of the parent giving authorization.
- Request via mail: send the request, duly signed, with a list of the desired certificates, attaching a photocopy of a valid document that identifies the person who signed the request, as well as an envelope with postage equal to €2,15 and with the complete address to which the certificates should be sent. Form for requests of excerpts for birth certificate including paternity and maternity ;
- Request via electronic mail: send the request with a list the desired certificates, complete with all the identification data of the certificate holders, attaching a copy of a valid identification document of the applicant, to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the following PEC (Posta Electronica Certificata) email address: email@example.com.
Where and when
Civil Status Office
Palazzo degli Uffici
Address: piazza Biade 26 (Primo piano)
Phone: 0444221442 (only from Monday to Friday from 11.30 am to 13 pm)
Access to counters is only by appointment booked online.
On the day of the appointment, you can access the counter directly with the booking number received by email.
Only in a case of real urgency, you can send an email to obtain an appointment within a shorter time, by attaching your identity document and documentation proving the urgency.
The office receives the users with appointment booked online:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm
- Wednesdays from 10 am to 2 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday from 4.30 pm to 6 pm
Decentralised registry office District 3
Villa Tacchi (zona San Pio X)
Address: viale della Pace 89
Phone: 0444222737 (from Monday to Friday 8.30am-12.30pm, Tuesday and Thursday also 4.30pm- 6pm)
Service in this office is available only by appointment made online. To book an appointment click on this link: http://www.comune.vicenza.it/servizi/prenotazioni